Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When love comes to town......














A friend recently asked me to give a description of a typical, normal day or week in my life here. Upon reading that, I laughed softly to myself because there was no such a thing as a "typical" or "normal" day or week for me here in Central America.
Living in Costa Rica, working in Nicaragua, friendships with high ranking officials, Spanish tutor that does not speak English, helping fellow missionary friends open a coffee shop, earthquakes, coconuts straight off the tree, mango off the tree, and 90 degree weather in February. Surprisingly these things are all ironically now very normal and typical for me. Each day here is truly adventurous and each trip to the border or Nicaragua is always full of surprises and obstacles. Sometimes I feel like life for me is fascinatingly chaotic.
 This past weekend the trip to Nicaragua was above all I could have expected! Often I have no clue what will transpire or how successful a workshop will go but I always put my hope in God. Always, always, always, God comes through in powerful and unexpected ways for me.
 Last Friday we all went to bed as early as possible because we would be catching a 4am bus to Nicaragua. However, our sleep was interrupted by a 4.4 earthquake here in Costa Rica. Although it was certainly not quite on the level of Haiti or Chile it was still a hard one. During the shaking, I felt so helpless and my mind was racing as to what to do in that moment. However, I couldn't move from the shaking and that was the most helpless feeling. Needless to say, I never really fell back to sleep! Catherine, myself and Valeria loaded up on the bus and it turned out to be literally the worst bus ride I have ever encountered. It was the worst Valeria had ever experienced and she is Costa Rican! Our bus driver almost wrecked twice and in one of those moments we almost toppled off the side of a mountain.
I was never so glad to finally get off that bus and head for the immigration lines! We entered into Nicaragua and Pastor Rudy was there to greet us at the border. We headed to the Church to rest and catch up with Pastor Rudy. We sat in the shade and he shared his powerful testimony. He also shared with us that there is much persecution for him and his family in this small town from several practicing witches there. He said it was a stronghold in the community and many try to cast spells on his house. Rudy smiled and said he knew God was stronger and he had no fear or worry. Then he looked at me and reminded me how important it was for me to stay prayed up. However, there was such a sense of peace that settled on me as I listened to this man share his heart. I have a deep trust in God since living here and also an understanding that depending on God is not optional.
  Little by little, women and children began to trickle into the Church with looks of excitement and hope in their eyes. My heart melted and I thought to myself, "man I love my life!!!" I divided my time between the jewelry making with the women and worship with the children. Despite no sleep and extreme heat in Nicaragua, I was having an absolute blast! At the end I shared a portion of my testimony with the women and told them I was proof God can change anyone's life if they are willing. The vulnerable expressions that met my eyes were so heart wrenching that I was filled with even more compassion and determination to help them. It was the first time in months of going there that I felt a bond beginning to form. God is so amazing.
We wrapped up the long day at a special Church service on the beach. We stayed at a house in the campo which is the country. No running water, outhouses and bugs of ridiculous size! Every single minute was full of adventure and not to mention the fact that we all three had to share a bed, thank goodness it was a queen size ;)
The next day we had breakfast with Rudy and his family. We also had, my personal favorite, coconut milk!!!
He and I discussed the plans for the next event on March 19th at the church for all the children in the community which will be about 75-80 and I am so pumped. I also have a meeting with a lady who heard about the ministry and  is a director of an orphanage there in Nicaragua. For those that know me, this is my heart and to say I was excited to hear this news would be an understatement.
I love Nicaragua and it has begun to occupy a special place in my heart. I simply never tire of going there and seeing the people I have come to love.

Thank you so much to all of you that donated and helped to make this past weekend possible. When I logged on to see my account, I cried at the amount of donations. 
Isaiah 58:10 says, "and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday." 

Thank you for being a light with me in such a dark place.



1 comment: