Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Faith and Sacrifice

Although I have been tremendously blessed by all the amazing people God has brought across my path this past week in Texas, I am homesick for my Latin home and the team that have become my family.  The season has shifted for me and I find that I will travel more this year to raise awareness of trafficking and to raise funds. My heart hurts a little at the thought of being separated from my team, the women and children there and missing out on some of the amazing things God is doing in Central America. David says in Psalms, "teach me your way, Lord that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart...." This passage brought so much comfort, I need an undivided heart as I focus on the tasks ahead rather than what I am missing. Faith and sacrifice are the anthems for a life lived poured out for Jesus and the evidence of both should be seen in our lives daily.  I have to continually challenge my heart to check that I am willing to do the hard things God asks of me even when I don't understand the reasons. He is so faithful, my God never fails me. 1 John 4:16 tells us we know and rely on the love God has for us. Do I do truly know and believe this truth? I find today as I pray and spend time with Jesus that this principle John was laying out was optionless. I have but only to know and rely on His love. This is how I survive weeks of unknown. Thank you to all of you who pray for us.
I wanted to update everyone on our teams that are scattered. I am posting a few paragraphs I received from two of our short-term team members who are currently serving in Costa Rica. Here are their thoughts:
"As I entered Costa Rica, I felt a familiar presence—much like an old friend.  I have been to Costa Rica twice before and I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a while.  And God must have been too because His grace definitely comes down here with us.  The pace of life here is much slower compared to normal life in the States, but it is a good change.  It gives us the time needed to reexamine greater things and priorities, but also allows for us to further press into the Kingdom of God through prayer, fasting, and intercession—something that is much needed on the mission field.  Since I arrived one week ago, I have gone on several events put on by YWAM that outreach to the local prostitute population, and I have been rocked by seeing the love in the eyes of my fellow Christians in YWAM and the need of love in the eyes of those in bondage on the streets—God is doing big things down here with these people and with Lightforce.  This is the greatest time of our lives, and how could it not be?"
 
-Matt


"One week? I feel as though I have been in Costa Rica for twice if not three times as long, which in this case is a great thing. I am here to soak up every aspect that Lightforce is involved in as well as the beauty of Costa Rica. The first week has included busy time as well as time to just sit back and think; which as an American I can say doesn’t happen very often. I have really enjoyed immersing myself in the Latin American culture and their ability to enjoy the day for every minute given to them. Twice this week as a group in addition to YWAM(youth with a mission) we have gone into downtown San Jose and ministered to the prostitutes and transvestites. Feeling the darkness in the streets and realizing that the light inside of us is greater than that darkness has been the driving force behind my compassion for these people. God is greater than the darkness here. Ultimately I have enjoyed learning about God, Costa Rica, and myself but know there is much more to learn."


-Chris

For updates from Laura go here and find out what God is doing on the streets of Costa Rica!

No comments:

Post a Comment