Friday, October 2, 2009

Can it really be three months ago that I sold almost everything, quit my job and moved to Costa Rica simply because God moved on my heart to do so.  I wanted to be obedient but I was baffled that God chose here to launch me out into the mission field.  For the past two years all I had talked about was the middle east and I even trained this summer with an organization that goes into places like Pakistan.  I studied Islam and the persecuted church and areas where persecution was very prevalent.  I was determined to find and go to any and all areas where no one is allowed or wanted.  Strange I know but for those closest to me, they will tell you, that was and still is my heart. 

Like most girls, I grew up with stories such as Cinderella but I also grew up with stories like David and Goliath, Moses parting the Red Sea and missionaries such as Jim Eliott.  At a young age I was ruined for this world.  Many of us aspire to make a difference, our culture speaks of reaching for the stars, becoming anything you want as long as you believe in yourself.  We flock to the theaters to see good triump evil, rags rise to riches and success defy defeat.  Why?  Because the one who designed us, who spoke us into existence, in whose nature we were created; defined those heroic tales.  God triumphed evil with His son Jesus and everyday He triumphs when you step out and be His hands and feet.  Everyday success defies defeat when you allow Him to shine through your weaknesses so He can shame foolishness.  For every counterfeit there is a genuine.  The bible is not fiction or fantasy.  It is God telling stories through the lives of everyday men and women who allowed God to use them.  The day I made Jesus Lord of my life, that became my culture.  My heart began to beat with thoughts of how big God was, how all things are possible and hurt and broken the world really was.  I knew I too wanted to let God take the pen and write His story, His version, His way.

As I look back on my life the past three years and up to this point, I see that everything God did and every where He placed me was training for my life on the field.  I used to talk about how someday I would go and then one day, my "someday" came.   Every test, every trial, every mountain top and valley has taught me something and pushed me to grow in God.

While I don't believe I am to be in Costa Rica for twenty years, I do believe I am here for a time and for training.  In my childlike faith, I wanted (and honestly still do) to just pick a spot in the middle of the world, set up a home and then just house, feed and love every single orphaned, abandoned, hungry child on the globe.  God is big enough to do so and I refuse to limit Him otherwise, however that is not what He has in mind for me right now.  So, I told Him okay and when He sent me here, I told him I would just take all the little ones in Central America!  Do you think I am kidding?  If you know me, then you know I am not!  So it is not surprising that it did not take me long to discover an unreached, untouched area that was full of hungry, abandoned children.  I sat listening to a pastor share all he had discovered in this town and how desperate in need these children were, my heart broke.  I have heard stories similar and people asking for help.  Trust me when I say, there is need EVERYWHERE.  This time though was different, this time I felt God tug at my heart.  Although I told the pastor I would pray and would not commit to anything.  Deep down I knew I would be back.

I came home and prayed.  It was not long before I knew that I knew I was to go back and see how I could help and where.  I also knew then that I was not going home.  I called my mom one night on skype crying from what all I had learned of these children and crying because I knew I would not be moving home in December.  She cried with me but we were both smiling through our tears because we knew this was God.

Just a few weeks later my friend and now partner, Susannah, came to me and said after much prayer she wanted to join me and help.  Both our hearts are tugged and moved and both our hearts know this is God calling us.  This area is four hours away by bus.  Plans are in the works for us to travel there next week and see what answers we can find and where to start.  Please everyone pray for our saftey and for favor.  I promise to update everyone as soon as we come back.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you get back safely. You write beautifully, by the way.

    ReplyDelete