Sunday, December 6, 2009

Making History






My heart is so full right now that I don't even know where to start in describing the fiesta and the events that transpired. I woke up this morning reliving every single moment of last night and reeling at how this is my life now. Jesus said He came that we would know life and have it in abundance. If ever there was a time I felt in my life that I truly related to abundant life that time is now.

For months my heart was burdened for the children and youth I had yet to meet involved in the sex trade. I would dream about that moment when I would finally see them. I have never known such joy as I did in meeting the faces of young girls and guys in the sex trade and giving them food and Christmas presents. A sea of faces before me with timid, vulnerable expressions causing my heart to melt. I thought for sure they would arrive cynical or hardened but instead what greeted me were eyes that were teary and thankful.

During one part of the night, a friend of mine who had come out to help, called me over to a group of kids I had not met yet. She introduced me to them as the director of the ministry and it felt so surreal because I looked and sounded important but if they only knew just how I am another daughter of the King. One of the youth smiled shyly up at me and said, “you are my friend”.

The head of immigration for Nicaragua thanked Susannah and I over and over. He said nothing like this had ever happened inside the border and we could count on his continual help and protection. The young girls hugged us, thanked us and asked when we were coming back!

God is so awesome. There was nothing special about us except when God asked us to go, we did. He made things so easy as if it was the most normal thing for two Kentucky girls to march into government offices and say, “Hi we are interested in these kids and we would like to have a party for them!”

Often Susannah and I marvel at out easy and simple God made things for us and the supernatural favor that encompassed it all.

I could not have survived this weekend without the prayers of everyone and the awesome team of North Americans, Costa Ricans and Nicaraguans God put together.

The Costa Rican church put together a powerful drama of God's redemptive power and I saw several of the girls watching wipe tears from their eyes. How powerful and mighty God's power was displayed on December 5th, 2009 on the border. Light was brought into a dark place. I know the young girls and guys will never be the same, the government officials were struck by all they witnessed and I know I will never be the same.

I always wanted to know what it would be like to mark history and last night we did just that! My story and Susannah's story is one where we turned the pen over to God and said, “Lord, you write whatever you desire in and with our lives.” We know this is just the beginning and now the real work with all the youth and children begin.

I pray for all those reading that you will desire to be a history maker and stand up for what is right in your generation. Be a voice for those who cannot speak as Proverbs declares.

No comments:

Post a Comment